Sunday, January 11, 2009

Portfolio Design

My current portfolio design is simple and straightforward. It is arranged in reverse chronological order. By using Illustrator to create my portfolio, I am able to quickly place pictures in my portfolio and use clipping masks. Storyboards and other Illustrator drawings can be placed, edited, and resized. I save each page individually so that my portfolio is modular. The modularity of my printed and digital portfolios allows me to pick projects appropriate to each job. I tend to move files around, backing them up on external hard drives throughout the quarter. Unlike placing files in InDesign, Illustrator pictures do not disappear when the source file is moved.

Two pages are dedicated to each project. The first page of each project shows a quick overview of the design process. It explains the problem and shows research, inspiration, sketches, early renders, and quick models. The second page highlights the final direction with final models, renders, and call outs. Headers and footers identify each page to give clear distinctions between projects. In some portfolios all the projects seem to blend together, and that bothers me. In digital portfolios, I also dislike when text and visual elements seem to jump with each page. My grids and guides allow me to keep these things consistently placed.

My portfolio is designed to give a quick overview of my abilities. For some of the more recent projects, I have process books which go further in depth.

This week I will be updating my portfolio and adding my light project from PreJunior year. I am always looking for ways to improve. Please feel free to take a look at my current portfolio and make comments. www.uc.edu/propractice/ind_design/Wilson_Jessica_10.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment