Sunday, January 25, 2009

Good Design


Good design is beautiful. Good design elicits emotion. Good design is practical.

The Eva Solo Smiley bowl is an example of good design. The shape is beautiful, fun, and inviting. It elicits joy and provokes thought. It solves a problem in a clever yet functional way.

Ever host a party and find you have to collect everyone’s trash at the end of the night? A small solution to your problem is the Eva Solo Smiley bowl. Snacks, candy, and nuts can be placed inside while candy wrappers or nut shells can be placed on top.

If I were a busy hostess, the candy would go on top where it can be seen and eaten by the guests. This would also allow me to easily know, just by glancing at it, when to refill it. The trash would go inside so it is hidden from sight in the bowl and not on my counters or in my couch. This would also make it faster and easier to carry over to the trash can and dump without dropping wrappers. Alternatively, chips or veggies could go inside and dip on top.

If I had one, I would sometimes reverse the roles of the top and inside. For example, if I was not having a party, candy would go inside where it is hidden and somewhat protected from dust. Trash would go on top so I would know when to clean it off.

So much thought for one little bowl. I want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment